Translate this page

Thursday 30 December 2010

Exclusive Interview: Supermodel Jenny Shimizu @ The Seattle Lesbian


TSL: You attended California State University, Northridge on a basketball scholarship. We had no idea over here that you were such a sports enthusiast. What else might your fans be surprised to know about you?
JS: I wasn’t actually planning on going to college and then I registered late and my dad went down and asked if I could try out for the basketball team because I had been playing basketball my whole life and had done really well. They told me to go down and try out and I did and was made a part of the team. I was on the team, but didn’t get to play for the next four seasons (one year) but it was great because I didn’t have to miss out on a full year that way.
TSL: Your androgynous look was what initially paved the way to your famous introduction to fashion mogul Calvin Klein. How did that come about?
JS: I wasn’t really planning to do that as a career and was definitely caught off-guard. I wasn’t really prepared and didn’t even have a passport or anything! I had to pack up a small bag, go to New York, get a passport, and then the rest is history. The next week I was on a plane to Milan on my way to meeting Gianni Versace.

TSL: I imagine you have many interesting stories under your proverbial belt regarding that time in your life as a young model.
JS: Oh, yeah [laughs]. I have many, many stories. When I look back in hindsight, I can definitely see that I never said “no” and I never turned anything down that scared me. I took the opportunity to do everything. I made myself available for the projects that came along and never let fear get in the way.

Read the full interview on The Seattle Lesbian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strap it on!